There is a reason why some candles last forever and some burn out quickly.
There is nothing worse than watching a luxe candle burn out lop-sidedly after a couple of uses, with half the wax still in the jar.
There are some easy ways to ensure you get the most out of every candle you buy, from burning it the right way the first time to not burning it for more than four hours.
We got some advice from the niche fragrance brand Lumira, one of my favourite Australian candle brands.
Lumira fragrances are created with the finest traditions including quality, design and hand craftsmanship. And the fragrances are rich, elegant and last.
These are some tips from Lumira to ensure the longevity of your candles.
- The wick should be trimmed to a length of 5mm each time before lighting. Discontinue when 10mm of wax remains to prevent cracking.
- In order to get the most out of your candle, burn it until the entire surface of the candle melts. Wax will follow the first burn so don’t extinguish the candle until the whole surface has melted.
- Only burn your candle for four hours at a time to preserve the fragrance ( so for parties I always have double the number of candles I need and then switch them up).
- If you need to leave your candle burning longer than four hours, extinguish the flame, trim the wick and then re-light it.
- Do not leave candle burning unattended.
- Always protect the table or surface on which the candle rests.
- Once there is 10mm of wax in the glass the candle is in, place it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes and the wax will pop up out easily. Simply wipe the inside of the vessel and repurpose with beauty brushes, pens and more.
Lumira have their own elegant Wick Trimmer and candle snuffer, and their candles are divine.